Claes Brondal is the co-founder, drummer and musical director of The Jam Session and LIVE from Southampton Arts Center.
Originally from Denmark, Claes now resides in Sag Harbor where he maintains a private teaching practice.
Having played and performed for more than 30 years in both Europe and the US, Claes have a wealth of experience in many musical genres as well as this business of music.
He’s been studying with drumming greats such as Ed Thigpen, Niels Ratzer, Jonas Johansen, Lennart Gruvstedt, Marcello Salazar, Kenwood Dennard, John Amira, Dom Famularo and Gary Chaffee.
Claes is versatile in many styles of music – especially enjoying Big Band, Funk, Soul, Jazz, Afro/Cuban and Brazilian. His “just say yes” approach landed him with many groups in the US and Europe ranging from Rock and Jazz to Turkish and Latin.
Professional credits includes recording sessions and live performances with musicians such as Tomas Frank, Poul Reimann, Bob Hovey, Misha Sakharov, James Genus, David Sanchez, Bobby Brennan, Essiet Essiet, John Miller, Jim Cammack, Hector Martignon, Morris Goldberg, Kevin Kuhn, Edward Perez, Lew Soloff, Alex Sipiagin, Ada Rovatti, Jim Campagnola, Ray Anderson, Randy Brecker, Yacouba Sissoko and Bill O’Connell.
He has worked with the Ross School Jazz Ensemble and musical director Hal McKusick, taught for the Morriss Center Jazz Ensembles and was a mentor for the East End All Star Youth Jazz Ensemble. He has performed at Central Park Summer Stage, Copenhagen Jazz Festival and Blue Note in New York City.
Claes is the founder and leader of the music collective Groove Gumbo Trio, which had its debut at Jazz on the Vine in New York 2011. Claes is constantly looking for new ways and methods to convey information and how to teach the art of drumming. Continuously studying and researching world rhythms and drumming traditions, as well as traditional practical applications to the drum set.
The following is a list of credits and professional affiliations:
– Member of the Vic Firth Educational Team
– Member of the Percussive Arts Society
– Hayground Summer Camp w/ Thiago De Mello. 2006
– Contributing writer for Vic Firth Educational Program at VicFirth.com
– Drum Clinic at Southampton High School, New York. 2006 & 2007
– Guest teacher and performer at Ross School, Easthampton, NY 2001 – Present
– Drum Instructor at Morriss Center High School, Easthampton, NY 2005 -2006
– Registered BOCES Instructor, New York
– Private teaching practice since 1993
– Ethos Music Center, Oregon. 2000 – 2001
– Bolton Music Studio, Oregon. 2000 – 2001
– Percussion Seminars at Hampton Day School, NY. 2006
– Blue Note Jazz Club, NYC w/ LUMA 2007
– Central Park Summer Stage w/ LUMA 2007
– East End Arts Council Drum Workshop 2007
– Drum Clinic at Merit School of Music, Chicago 2009
– Groove Gumbo Collective, Jazz on the Vine 2011
– The Jam Session & The Thursday Night Live Band 2009 – Present
– Various drum clinics on Long Island, New York 2006 – Present